Volunteers are the roots of our strong community.
- Nebraska ranks 6th with 33.7% of residents volunteering
- Iowa ranks 10th with 32.5% of residents volunteering*
During National Volunteer month, United Way of the Midlands is celebrating with a big round of applause for the community’s volunteer “workforce,” the nearly 3,500 people who invested more than 51,000 hours of service in the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro last year.
Volunteer interviewees: Avi Atholi, First National Bank; Alison Ingunza, HDR; Dolores Terwey, U.S. Bank; Dani Ohlman, United Way of the Midlands
UWM’S VOLUNTEER “DAYS OF SERVICE” PROJECTS
Though UWM is paying special tribute to volunteers during this month, it is year-round volunteerism that plays a vital role to energize and mobilize UWM-funded programs. UWM offers three signature volunteer events each year and encourages community members to participate. These volunteer events promote the spirit and value of volunteerism, increase the awareness of local human service issues and demonstrate what people-working together can accomplish.
- Day of Action – June 21, 2018: Focusing on childhood literacy, UWM connects caring volunteers with out-of-school time programs for children, to spend time during that day as Reading Buddies for students ages six to eight years old. REGISTER TODAY!
- Day of Caring – September 21, 2018: This annual volunteer service event is open to individuals and teams of volunteers for a variety of projects at local nonprofit and civic organizations. Projects will range from organizing, cleaning and painting at local nonprofit sites, to helping metro area students with their homework and job interviewing skills.
- Holiday Helpers – November and December 2018: The holidays are a time to celebrate the things we are most thankful for, and many want to share their time helping those in need across our community. Individuals and teams can sign up for meaningful holiday projects that will help individuals in need and the organizations that provide them support.
Looking for a volunteer opportunity today? Click the button below to view open volunteer needs in our community. For more information or help, please contact our Volunteer Engagement Director at: 402.522.7949 or firstname.lastname@example.org.