Becoming an Intrapreneur at YP Summit with Kelsey HaswellWe had a wonderful time at the YP Summit conference where Kelsey, a UWM Emerging Leader, had the opportunity to lead a break out session!
The YP Summit brings more than 1,500 young professionals together to grow personally and professionally, to learn more about community and convert insight into real, positive action using our strategic imagination to see beyond today and redefine what we are collectively capable of accomplishing
Kelsey Haswell is the chair of United Way of the Midlands Emerging Leaders Professional Development Events Committee and a lean improvement specialist at Nebraska Methodist Health System. This year marked her first time leading a break out session, and we think she knocked it out of the park during her packed session “Intrapreneurship: How to Innovate and Excel within a Large Company.”
What does it mean to be an intrapreneur, you ask?
: a rebel with a burning platform within a large organization, who takes smart risks, and advocates for what is best for all
Kelsey shared lessons she’s learned while trying to make lasting change as a young professional in her organization, which is one of the largest healthcare providers in the Midwest.
Here is what her experiences taught her about staying strong, challenging yourself and building meaningful relationships with others who can help you excel.
Kelsey's Tips on Intrapreneurship
- Become comfortable being uncomfortable. Do things that challenge you and see yourself grow.
- Just say yes. You may not want to do this for everything of course, but say “yes” and see where it takes you.
- Tell your story. Share nuggets from both your personal and professional life.
- Do a little bit of fake it ’til you make it.
- Build lasting relationships. Who is your personal board of directors?
- Activate your inner hype fan! Don’t beat yourself up, lift yourself up. Maybe you have a hype squad!
- Ain’t nobody your fairy godmother. You can’t wait for it to happen. Go after it.
- Make sure you advocate for yourself and others.
Towards the end of her session she passed around postcards where attendees could write down something big they want to accomplish in their life. She collected them all, and promised to send them in one year as a reminder that we should never give up on or forget those large dreams of ours.
Thank you so much to the Greater Omaha Chamber and sponsors for making this event possible!
About the Author
Kylie is the Manager of Digital at United Way of the Midlands. Whenever you see a social media post or something new on the website, chances are she was behind it! She loves finding new ways to share stories online that inspire people to give back. Her favorite things in life are her family and friends, her pets Maisel and Bunny, and nachos.