Select Page

Cares Act Housing Assistance

Since the start of the pandemic, as many as 23% of residents in NE have said they missed a housing payment or were not confident they would make next month’s payment, according to the Census Pulse Poll. Through United Way of the Midlands’ CARES Housing Stability Program, eligible Nebraskans who have experienced a COVID-19-related hardship can receive assistance with rent, mortgage and utilities.  

Funds can be used to pay all or any part of an eligible applicant’s utility, mortgage or rental expenses that were incurred after April 1, 2020, including late fees and back payments. These funds will be paid directly to the landlord, mortgage holder or utility company on behalf of the applicant.

United Way of the Midlands is coordinating with other area partners to provide this assistance, including Metro Area Continuum of Care for the Homeless and Douglas County Community Response for metro-area assistance; Sarpy County Housing Foundation for Sarpy and Cass County assistance; and Lutheran Family Services, Nebraska Children and Family Foundation and Nebraska Housing Developers Association for statewide assistance.

Who is eligible to receive funds through the program?

An individual who meets the following requirements is eligible to apply for assistance:

  • Is a U.S. Citizen or legal resident and resides in Nebraska
  • Has experienced negative financial impact due to COVID-19
  • Can provide verification of lease, mortgage or rental agreement when applying for mortgage or rental assistance

Please note: Documents verifying Nebraska residency and legal residence/citizenship and/or the appropriate corroboration forms must be uploaded within the application.

How can people apply for assistance?

People in need of rental assistance should contact United Way of the Midlands’ 211 Helpline by calling 2-1-1 or texting their zip code to 898211. Helpline specialists are available 24/7 and can provide assistance in multiple languages through their tele-interpreter service.

Individuals can also apply by filling out this online form: www.unitedwaymidlands.org/necares

What documentation will the applicant need to provide in order to provide assistance?  

Applicants will need to provide a copy of the following:


  • Photo ID
  • One consecutive months’ proof of income from BEFORE the lease or mortgage holder’s income was impacted by COVID-19 and one consecutive months’ proof of income AFTER their income was impacted by COVID-19. (Ex: pay stubs, Social Security/SSI, letter from employer, bank statements, etc. OR letter of explanation)
  • Copy of current lease or mortgage payment information

How will funds be distributed?

Rental assistance will be paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the applicant. Mortgage payments will be paid directly to the mortgage lender, and utility assistance will be paid directly to the utility company.

United Way of the Midlands   |   2201 Farnam Street   |   Omaha, NE 68102   |   402-342-8232

Social Responsibility & Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   211 Helpline   |   Donate   |   Volunteer

Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved