Select Page

Flood Relief Resources

Check back frequently for updated information related to flooding relief in Nebraska and Iowa.



FEMA Federal Disaster Assistance

A federal disaster declaration was issued for several counties in Nebraska and Western Iowa.
Individual assistance may be available to affected residents in the following counties in Nebraska: Antelope, Boyd, Burt, Cuming, Hall, Howard, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Saline, Stanton, Butler, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Nemaha, Sarpy, Saunders, Washington, Boone, Buffalo, Custer, Knox, Richardson, and Thurston Counties and the Santee Sioux Nation; and in Iowa: Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, and Woodbury.  Additional areas could be designated for assistance after ongoing damage assessments are completed.


Individual Assistance is a FEMA program that provides grant funding for eligible individuals that have lost home or property due to the flooding from this disaster.  If your county has received an Individual Assistance declaration, you are eligible to register with FEMA.

Call (800) 621-3362 or TTY (800) 462-7585, Mon-Sun 7 am-10 pm Central; apply online www.disasterassistance.gov, or visit a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center:


  • Bellevue – Twin Creek Nebraska Medicine, 3802 Raynor Parkway, Suite 201, Mon-Sat 7 am-7 pm
  • Bellwood – Fire Department, 752 41st Road, Mon-Sat 9 am-6 pm
  • Dannebrog – Oak Street Manor, 222 East Oak Street, Tue and Thu 9 am-6 pm
  • Fremont – Fremont Learning Center, 130 E. Ninth Street, Mon-Sat 7 am-7 pm
  • Genoa – City Auditorium, 313 Willard Avenue, Mon-Fri 9 am- 6 pm
  • Niobrara – Santee Health and Wellness Center, 110 S. Visiting Eagle St., Tue-Sat 9 am-6 pm
  • Tekamah – City Auditorium Dining Room, 1315 K Street, Mon-Fri 9 am-6 pm
  • Valley – Valley American Legion Post 58, 111 E. Front Street, Mon-Sat 7 am-7 pm
  • Wood River – City Clerk, 108 West 10th Street, Mon-Sat 9 am-6 pm



  • Glenwood – Glenwood Resource Center, 111 Lacey Street, Mon-Sat 9 am-7 pm
  • Harlan – Fire Hall, 906 Cyclone Avenue, Mon-Wed 9 am-7 pm
  • Sidney – Emergency Management, 2014 290th Avenue, Thu-Sat 9 am-6 pm


Have this information when you apply:

–Social Security number                                                           –Information about insurance coverage

–Address of the damaged home or apartment              –Telephone number

–Description of the damage                                                      –Mailing address

–Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit –Information about insurance coverage


Public assistance (not for individuals) was approved for many additional Nebraska counties and tribes.  Public assistance provides funds to assist communities (not individuals) responding to and recovering from major disasters or emergencies declared by the President.

Federal Tax Deadline Extended

Victims of the severe winter storm, straight-line winds, and flooding that took place on March 9, 2019 in Nebraska may qualify for tax relief from the Internal Revenue Service.


The President has declared that a major disaster occurred in the State of Nebraska. Following the recent disaster declaration for individual assistance issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the IRS announced that affected taxpayers in certain areas will receive tax relief.


Individuals who reside or have a business in Antelope, Boone, Boyd, Buffalo, Butler, Burt, Cass, Colfax, Cuming, Custer, Dodge, Douglas, Hall, Howard, Knox, Madison, Nance, Nemaha, Pierce, Platte, Richardson, Saline, Sarpy, Saunders, Stanton, Thurston, and Washington counties, and the Santee Sioux Nation may qualify for tax relief.


If an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date that falls within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the telephone number on the notice to have the IRS abate the penalty.


The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers located in the covered disaster area and applies automatic filing and payment relief. But affected taxpayers who reside or have a business located outside the covered disaster area must call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227 to request this tax relief.

Business Information

Business owners, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters in the designated disaster counties may be eligible for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration to help recover from losses not covered by insurance, grants, or other sources. Businesses and residents can visit www.SBA.gov/disaster, call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955, or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov.  TTY users may call (800) 877-8339.  Representatives are also at the FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (listed above under FEMA).


For qualified homeowners and renters, disaster grants help pay for basic repairs to make a home habitable, temporary rental assistance, and serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other sources.

Road Closures

Dial 5-1-1 or visit www.511.nebraska.gov for information on road closures throughout the state of Nebraska.

Monetary Donations

United Way’s NE and IA Flood Relief Fund – 100% of every donation will be directed to nonprofit programs meeting people’s needs for emergency shelter, food, and more in our community.

Website: www.unitedwaymidlands.org/floodrelief or text FLOODRELIEF to 41444.

(If you’d like to direct your donation to another community affected by flooding in Nebraska or Iowa, please write in the city name below. We will distribute your funds to the United Way serving that area.)


Salvation Army – People wishing to donate to relief efforts can do so online by going to www.salarmyomaha.org.


American Red Cross – People wishing to donate to relief efforts can do so online by going to please visit www.redcross.org.


Fremont – A fund has been set up through the Fremont Area United Way.  Text to give by texting “FremontUW” to 41444 or visit www.fremontunitedway.org.


Columbus/Platte County Area Disaster Relief fund has been set up at First National Bank in Columbus.  Monetary donations can be dropped off at the main branch on 13th Street or branch location on 23rd Street (Highway 30).


Bank on Nebraska Strong – The Nebraska United Ways have partnered with the Nebraska Bankers Association to establish a BANK ON NEBRASKA STRONG flood relief fund.  This fund offers people the opportunity to donate at their hometown banks to aid local relief efforts. Banks and local United Ways will collect funds and then work with local emergency management teams and community relief efforts to aid in recovery and rebuilding of communities.  Text NEFLOODRELIEF to 41444 or give online at https://www.unitedwaymidlands.org/nefloodrelief/.  Check with local banks for participation as well.


Mills County Flood Fund  – Make checks payable to the Mills County Flood Fund, Mills County Community Foundation, 3555 Farnam Street Omaha, NE, 68131. Donations can be made online at www.omahafoundaiton.org/donate (there is a place to select Mills County Flood Fund).  Applications for relief grants will be available at Mills County Public Health beginning March 25 and will be posted on the Mills County website.

Donations of Items

Salvation Army Disaster Resource Centers

Council Bluffs  Corps – 715 North 16th St. accepting donations Mon and Thu 9 am-7 pm, Tue, Wed, Fri 9 am-4 pm, Sat 9 am-12 noon.

Sarpy/Cass – Southroads Mall, 1001 Fort Crook Road, Suite 250, Bellevue (former JC Penney store, at the south end of the mall) assists individuals Mon-Sat 12 noon-6 pm


Most needed items include: N-95 dust masks, Scoop shovels, Floor squeegees, Long rubber gloves, Wader boots, Spray bottles, Laundry soap, Personal hygiene items, Box fans, Bleach, Disinfectant, Paper towels, 5-gallon buckets, Work gloves,        Scrub brushes, Cleaning rags, Large, heavy-duty garbage bags, First-aid kits, School supplies, New unwrapped bedding, New towels and washcloths, New baby supplies, Snack items, Paper plates, and forks/knives/spoons/cups/napkins.


Fremont – Donated supplies are being accepted at Fremont City Auditorium, 925 N Broad St. The donation center is open Mon 10 am-2 pm, Wed 4 pm-7 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm.    Not Accepting: Used Clothes, Water, Frozen or Homemade food

Questions Regarding donations can be emailed to fremontnebraskadonations@gmail.com.  For large donations or out of state donations, call (435) 374-9712.


UNMC, Nebraska Medicine, and UNO Flood Relief Donation Management Center – UNMC General Supply (Annex 22), 601 South Saddle Creek Road, Omaha – Mon-Fri 10 am-4 pm.  Items being accepted are listed online (https://www.unmc.edu/flood/donate/donation-center.html) and include personal protective equipment (goggles, work gloves, hand sanitizer, etc.), cleaning supplies (bleach, dish soap, SOS pads, disposable gloves, mops, detergent, paper towels, trash bags, etc.), and personal hygiene items.  (402) 836-9379



University of Nebraska Eastern Nebraska Research and Extension Center (ENREC) near Mead and Haskell Ag Lab at Concord are serving as collection locations for hay (large bales only) donations and fencing materials for livestock owners/managers who were impacted by the recent adverse weather events in Nebraska. Arrangements need to be made prior to delivery. Details at: https://enrec.unl.edu/haydonations/, or call (970) 759-8626 or (402) 624-8000.


United Way of the Midlands is working with several groups to coordinate hundreds of opportunities. Click here to view, sign up and make someone’s day brighter! Call 2-1-1 for questions (press option 6).


Fremont Volunteer Reception Center – Volunteer opportunities available online at http://signup.com/go/xynaaxZ. Volunteer Center is at Fremont Area United Way, 445 East 1st Street, Suite 1, Fremont.  Open Mon-Sat 9 am-5 pm, fremontnebraskavrc@gmail.com.


Columbus – 2-1-1 is taking names of locals who wish to volunteer in Platte County.  This information will be provided to the Columbus Area United Way and Platte County Emergency Management.


Cleanup of Homes

Crisis Cleanup Hotline, (833) 556-2476.  Anyone needing assistance cleaning up homes should call to register during normal business hours or leave a message (returned within 24 hours).  Nebraska Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster is coordinating volunteers from across the country to assist with cleanup.  Volunteers organizations will be matched with individuals needing help.

Supplies and Clothing Distribution

Fremont – People who are displaced, but are not currently at a shelter, can receive supplies at Fremont City Auditorium, 925 N Broad Street, Mon 10 am-2 pm, Wed 4 pm-7 pm, Sat 10 am-2 pm.


Fremont – Free clothing, household items, and cleaning supplies Tue and Thu 9 am-4 pm at Uniquely Yours, 240 N. Main Street.  Walk in to shop, or call for information (402) 727-8977.  Items still available: clothing, bedding, shoes and boots, toys and children’s books, hygiene items, laundry and dish soap, Toilet Paper, Boxes of Granola bars, back packs, reading glasses, some cleaning supplies and paper towels, use of the Community Computer Lab.


Columbus – Disaster Relief Distribution Center, 4300 23rd Street, Mon-Fri 4 pm-7 pm, Sat 9 am-1 pm.


Salvation Army’s Disaster Resource Centers (DRC)

Council Bluffs  Corps – 715 North 16th St. assists individuals Mon and Thu 9 am-7 pm, Tue, Wed, Fri 9 am-4 pm, Sat 9 am-12 noon.

Sarpy/Cass – Southroads Mall, 1001 Fort Crook Road, Suite 250, Bellevue (former JC Penney store, at the south end of the mall) assists individuals Mon-Sat 12 noon-6 pm.


The DRC is a place for people affected by the recent flooding to pick up flood-relief items.  Case managers will help with intake and ensuring people’s needs are met.  As people arrive, they will briefly meet with a case worker, complete a brief intake form, and will then be guided through part of the building where flood-relief items have been organized and placed for ease of pickup: bottled water, mops, buckets, shovels, rakes, bleach, work gloves, and household cleaning supplies.  Photo ID is needed.


UNMC, Nebraska Medicine, and UNO Flood Relief Donation Management Center – UNMC General Supply (Annex 22), 601 South Saddle Creek Road, Omaha – Mon-Fri 10 am-6 pm.  Items available to those impacted by the flood may include personal protective equipment (goggles, work gloves, hand sanitizer, etc.), cleaning supplies (bleach, dish soap, SOS pads, disposable gloves, mops, detergent, paper towels, trash bags, etc.), and personal hygiene items.


Many Community Agencies are offering help to flood victims without restrictions.  Call 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898211 for more information.

Furniture and Appliances

Sarpy County – Bellevue Church of Christ is currently taking applications for replacement mattresses, furniture and appliances (washer/dryer set, refrigerator, stove, new bed and more) that were damaged or destroyed in the flood.  Apply in person at the DRC (1001 Ft. Crook Road North, Bellevue) Tues, Wed, Thu 4 pm-6 pm.  To apply, you must have owned these items prior to the disaster.  Bring ID, phone number, and photos of the damaged goods (if you have them). There is no guarantee applicants will receive everything requested.

Homeowner Resources – HUD

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has multiple resources for homeowners in the disaster-declared counties.  Programs include foreclosure relief (800) 304-9320; mortgage insurance (800) 569-4287, and rehab mortgage insurance, which enables homebuyers and homeowners to finance both the purchase (or refinancing) of a house and the cost of its rehabilitation through a single mortgage or to finance the rehabilitation of their existing home, (800) 225-5342.

Well Water Testing

Nebraskans can request kits from the Nebraska Public Health Environmental Laboratory to test for coliform bacteria. The kit is free. The cost to run the test is $17.00. Order kits online at http://www.nebraska.gov/dhhs/water-test-kits/private.html or by calling (402) 471-3935 between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Water Safety, Mold, Environmental Hazards

Questions about city water should be directed to the water company directly.  Some other water supplies (such as wells) may have been contaminated by flooding and be unsafe to drink or use to wash dishes.  Contact your local health department for more information.


Moisture meters are available through the UNL Extension offices.  It can take weeks or months to dry a house to the point where repairs can be made. The moisture level of structures cannot be determined by appearance or time spent drying, so a calibrated meter is recommended to measure moisture levels before rebuilding.  Homeowners may borrow the meters to assess the moisture content of flooded materials.  Find the local extension office here: https://epd.unl.edu/


Veteran Assistance

For veterans affected by recent flooding in Nebraska, the Nebraska Veterans Aid (NVA) may be able to assist with food, clothing, and emergency housing (i.e. hotel accommodations).  Applications will be considered on a case-by case basis.  Veterans should apply through their county veteran service officer; contact 2-1-1 for information or visit https://veterans.nebraska.gov/cvso.

Mental Health & Stress

Disaster Distress Hotline provides year-round disaster crisis counseling.  Call (800) 985-5990, text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746, or text ‘Hablanos’ to 66746 for Spanish.


Nebraska Farm/Ranch Hotline (Rural Response Hotline) offers a variety of information for farmers and ranchers, including no cost vouchers for confidential mental health services for persons affected by a rural crisis.

Legal Help

Legal Aid of Nebraska – Free legal help for low-income Nebraskans through Legal Aid’s Disaster Relief Project.

Low-income Nebraskans can apply for direct legal representation two ways:


All survivors of Nebraska’s flooding can get free and immediately useful information online at www.disaster.legalaidofnebraska.org.

Animal/Pet Shelter

Nebraska Humane Society is helping with pets of evacuees.  (402) 444-7800


Fremont – FurEver Home, Inc. is offering pet food, leashes, and collars for pet owners impacted by disaster.  236 W. 6th St, Fremont, (402) 979-8800.

Farm/Livestock Resources

Hay and Forage Hotline, (402) 471-4876, connects buyers with sellers of hay, pasture and other types of forage. This Hotline service is available at no cost to buyers and sellers.


Each county is served by a Farm Service Agency who can help farmers and ranchers with their needs.


Producers who have been affected by the blizzard and flooding and are in need of hay, feed, fencing materials, volunteer help, equipment, etc, should contact the Nebraska Department of Agriculture at (800) 831-0550.


To donate large hay bales, fencing, etc, please see the Donations of Items section.

Iowa Specific Resources

Iowa Individual Disaster Assistance Grant Program – (866) 434-4692 – Individuals who meet income guidelines may apply for grants of up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food and temporary housing expenses. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery. Applications should be sent to the Iowa Community Action Association. The deadline is April 29th for the following counties in Southwest Iowa:, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie, and Shelby.  More counties across the state are eligible, see https://dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs for a full list.


Residents in Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, and Woodbury are no longer eligible for the Iowa Individual Disaster Assistance Grant Program, since a federal disaster declaration has been issued.  Citizens in these counties should apply for the federal Individual Assistance Program to avoid duplication of disaster assistance benefits.  Residents in these counties CAN still apply for Iowa Disaster Case Management.




Iowa Concern Hotline – (800) 447-1985 – Providing immediate stress counseling, legal education (if needed), providing callers with shelter information and clean up information.  Referring to other state programs for disaster.




Iowa Disaster Case Management – Time limited resource and process that involves a partnership between a disaster case manager and a household impacted by a disaster to develop and carry out a Disaster Recovery Plan.  This partnership provides the client with a single point of contact to facilitate access to a broad range of resources, promoting sustainable assistance for individual’s and a household’s recovery.  Apply through Community Action Agencies, www.iowacommunityaction.org.



Iowa Flood Relief Websitefloods2019.Iowa.gov

  • Unemployment Assistance
  • Free Mortgage Counseling
  • State Registered Contractors
  • SCAM Info
  • Clean Up
  • Replacing Documents (Drivers Licenses, Car titles, SS Cards, Birth Certificates, etc.)
  • Farm/Agriculture
  • USDA Disaster assistance programs
  • And more…



For more details on the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services’ Disaster Assistance Programs:  https://dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs

We are working with many agencies across Nebraska and Iowa to gather as much information and resources as possible. Please know we will continuously update this list as information becomes available to us. Please check back often. Stay strong!

Many community agencies are helping flood victims as well as the general public. Click the button below to search for additional information and services through the 2-1-1 online database.

United Way of the Midlands   |   2201 Farnam Street   |   Omaha, NE 68102   |   402-342-8232

Social Responsibility & Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   211 Helpline   |   Donate   |   Volunteer

Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved