STEPS FOR SUCCESS
We’ve got the tools to help you make your United Way campaign stand out. Check out best practices proven to engage, excite and ultimately unite your people. The end goal? Heightened levels of contribution dollars and participation. Use these established strategies to get the job done.
• Set up a meeting with your donor engagement representative to analyze past results and identify areas of opportunity.
• Create a timeline and prepare in advance. Don’t let your campaign sneak up on you. Check out the campaign timeline on pg. 8.
• Develop an employee communications plan that includes quick facts about United Way and stories about individuals helped by contributions. Your donor engagement representative can help provide this info!
Involve CEO & Management
• Send a personalized letter or e-mail endorsing the campaign prior to the kickoff.
• Attend campaign events to endorse UWM.
Build a Strong Committee
• Don’t try to build the campaign on your own — gather a committee to help you. Consider your donor engagement representative a part of that team.
Develop a Plan
• Decide on a theme, activities, incentives and a thank you event. Use United Way’s “Campaign Idea” book for new ideas.
• Use as many of the United Way branded tools as possible – pledge cards, posters, brochures, etc.
• Use UWM Stories of Change to set the tone for the campaign and remind your audience of ways they can keep our Community Strong.
Conduct an Educational Campaign
• Schedule a meeting for every employee to attend. If employees are difficult to bring together, try to schedule a rally in conjunction with another meeting, such as a staff or safety meeting. (See pg. 10)
• For companies using e-pledging, an electronic contribution link will be sent on the day of the kickoff and donors will receive an immediate “thank you” once a gift is submitted.
• Hold special events for current Bridgebuilders Society members and prospects.
Wrap Up Your Campaign
• Complete and sign the Campaign Report Form (record retiree contributions on a separate form). If there are any additional donations after the final report has been turned in, contact your donor engagement representative for pick-up.
• Complete the Bridgebuilders Society list and return it in the campaign report envelope. Update the list to include all new members and members who are no longer at your company. It is important to return this form to ensure that all leadership givers receive appropriate recognition. When complete, seal this along with all contribution cards, cash/checks and designation forms in the Campaign Report envelope.
• Conduct a thank you activity — serve a hot breakfast, order pizza for lunch, hold an ice cream social or give out cookies or candy that say “thank you.”